Anglican Devotional 29 March 2023 – Desire Spiritual Gifts
The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 29 March 2023 – Desire Spiritual Gifts
Click HERE to Read Previous MESSAGES
TOPIC: Desire Spiritual Gifts
READ: 1 Corinthians 14: 1-20 (NKJV)
- Pursue love, and desire spiritual [gifts,] but especially that you may prophesy.
- For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands [him;] however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.
- But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men.
- He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church.
- I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied; for he who prophesies [is] greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification.
- But now, brethren, if I come to you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you unless I speak to you either by revelation, by knowledge, by prophesying, or by teaching?
- Even things without life, whether flute or harp, when they make a sound, unless they make a distinction in the sounds, how will it be known what is piped or played?
- For if the trumpet makes an uncertain sound, who will prepare himself for battle?
- So likewise you, unless you utter by the tongue words easy to understand, how will it be known what is spoken? For you will be speaking into the air.
- There are, it may be, so many kinds of languages in the world, and none of them [is] without significance.
- Therefore, if I do not know the meaning of the language, I shall be a foreigner to him who speaks, and he who speaks [will be] a foreigner to me.
- Even so you, since you are zealous for spiritual [gifts, let it be] for the edification of the church [that] you seek to excel.
- Therefore let him who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret.
- For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful.
- What is [the conclusion] then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding. I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with the understanding.
- Otherwise, if you bless with the spirit, how will he who occupies the place of the uninformed say “Amen” at your giving of thanks, since he does not understand what you say?
- For you indeed give thanks well, but the other is not edified.
- I thank my God I speak with tongues more than you all;
- yet in the church I would rather speak five words with my understanding, that I may teach others also, than ten thousand words in a tongue.
- Brethren, do not be children in understanding; however, in malice be babes, but in understanding be mature.
Believers are encouraged to earnestly desire spiritual gifts but Love should be our greatest quest. The nine spiritual gifts in 1 Corinthians 12: 1-10 are Word of Wisdom, Word of Knowledge, Faith, Gifts of Healing, Working of Miracles, Prophecy, Discerning of Spirits, Diverse kinds of Tongues, and Interpretation of Tongues. These gifts establish and make believers fruitful in Christ (Romans 1: 11). The Bible also encourages believers to desire speaking in tongues to enable them edify themselves and speak mysteries to God in prayer (verse 2). However prophecy should be desired more to edify the Church. This is because prophecy communicates God’s divine will in a language understood by the audience and promotes wisdom, piety and holiness. This is why the Bible encourages those who speak in unknown tongues to pray for interpretation to edify both themselves and the Church.
Maturity is important in the exercise of these gifts. When someone is leading in public worship for others to follow and say Amen, it is advisable to use a language understood by all. However, for private prayer whether at home, workplace or Church, one is free to speak in tongues of any other language since he is communing privately to God (verses 16-19) These gifts are available for you and needful for your personal edification and work of God. Desire to pray that you be endowed with them to become a greater blessing in your generation.
PRAYER: Thank You Father for the gifts of the Holy Spirit; help me to identify and use mine for Your glory. Amen.