The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 15 March 2023 – The Glory Of His Presence
Click HERE to Read Previous MESSAGES
TOPIC: The Glory Of His Presence
READ: Mark 9: 3-30 (NKJV)
- His clothes became shining, exceedingly white, like snow, such as no launderer on earth can whiten them.
- And Elijah appeared to them with Moses, and they were talking with Jesus.
- Then Peter answered and said to Jesus, “Rabbi, it is good for us to be here; and let us make three tabernacles: one for You, one for Moses, and one for Elijah” —
- because he did not know what to say, for they were greatly afraid.
- And a cloud came and overshadowed them; and a voice came out of the cloud, saying, “This is My beloved Son. Hear Him!”
- Suddenly, when they had looked around, they saw no one anymore, but only Jesus with themselves.
- Now as they came down from the mountain, He commanded them that they should tell no one the things they had seen, till the Son of Man had risen from the dead.
- So they kept this word to themselves, questioning what the rising from the dead meant.
- And they asked Him, saying, “Why do the scribes say that Elijah must come first?”
- Then He answered and told them, “Indeed, Elijah is coming first and restores all things. And how is it written concerning the Son of Man, that He must suffer many things and be treated with contempt?
- “But I say to you that Elijah has also come, and they did to him whatever they wished, as it is written of him.”
- And when He came to the disciples, He saw a great multitude around them, and scribes disputing with them.
- Immediately, when they saw Him, all the people were greatly amazed, and running to [Him,] greeted Him.
- And He asked the scribes, “What are you discussing with them?”
- Then one of the crowd answered and said, “Teacher, I brought You my son, who has a mute spirit.
- “And wherever it seizes him, it throws him down; he foams at the mouth, gnashes his teeth, and becomes rigid. So I spoke to Your disciples, that they should cast it out, but they could not.”
- He answered him and said, “O faithless generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I bear with you? Bring him to Me.”
- Then they brought him to Him. And when he saw Him, immediately the spirit convulsed him, and he fell on the ground and wallowed, foaming at the mouth.
- So He asked his father, “How long has this been happening to him?” And he said, “From childhood.
- “And often he has thrown him both into the fire and into the water to destroy him. But if You can do anything, have compassion on us and help us.”
- Jesus said to him, “If you can believe, all things [are] possible to him who believes.”
- Immediately the father of the child cried out and said with tears, “Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!”
- When Jesus saw that the people came running together, He rebuked the unclean spirit, saying to it, “Deaf and dumb spirit, I command you, come out of him and enter him no more!”
- Then [the spirit] cried out, convulsed him greatly, and came out of him. And he became as one dead, so that many said, “He is dead.”
- But Jesus took him by the hand and lifted him up, and he arose.
- And when He had come into the house, His disciples asked Him privately, “Why could we not cast it out?”
- So He said to them, “This kind can come out by nothing but prayer and fasting.”
- Then they departed from there and passed through Galilee, and He did not want anyone to know [it.]
At the mount of Transfiguration, a cloud of glory covered Jesus, Moses and Elijah. Moses represents the Law, Elijah the Prophets. Peter in awe, requested to build three tabernacles for Jesus, Moses, and Elijah respectively. They heard the voice of God instructing them to listen and obey Jesus which shows the superiority of Jesus over the law, prophets or any other thing. Spending time in God’s presence gives ability to see a ‘transfigured Jesus,’ gain a deeper understanding about Him and hear God’s voice distinctly. His presence becomes so sweet that we would not want to leave like Peter. We gain understanding about the relationship between the law, prophets and the ministry of Jesus. When they came down from the mountain, Jesus cast out a dumb spirit from a boy whose deliverance had defied every attempt by the disciples. Jesus taught that fasting and prayer was the key to cast out that type of demon.
Beloved, Jesus expects believers to utilize His surpassing power to break different bondages. He needs you to spend time in His presence in prayers and fasting to enable you deal with different challenges. Will you by faith tackle unseen forces in your life, family, Church, business and work place? Don’t disappoint God by being a disciple who cannot utilize His power to change situations in your generation. Determine to set someone free today.
PRAYER: Help me Lord to spend time in Your presence, to understand You more and hear You distinctly. Amen.