The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 11 March 2023 – The Believer’s Words
Click HERE to Read Previous MESSAGES
TOPIC: Dedicated To The Lord
READ: Leviticus 27:26-34 (NKJV)
- ‘ But the firstborn of the animals, which should be the LORD’s firstborn, no man shall dedicate; whether [it is] an ox or sheep, it [is] the LORD’s.
- ‘And if [it is] an unclean animal, then he shall redeem [it] according to your valuation, and shall add one-fifth to it; or if it is not redeemed, then it shall be sold according to your valuation.
- ‘ Nevertheless no devoted [offering] that a man may devote to the LORD of all that he has, [both] man and beast, or the field of his possession, shall be sold or redeemed; every devoted [offering is] most holy to the LORD.
- ‘No person under the ban, who may become doomed to destruction among men, shall be redeemed, [but] shall surely be put to death.
- ‘And all the tithe of the land, [whether] of the seed of the land [or] of the fruit of the tree, [is] the LORD’s. It [is] holy to the LORD.
- ‘If a man wants at all to redeem [any] of his tithes, he shall add one-fifth to it.
- ‘And concerning the tithe of the herd or the flock, of whatever passes under the rod, the tenth one shall be holy to the LORD.
- ‘He shall not inquire whether it is good or bad, nor shall he exchange it; and if he exchanges it at all, then both it and the one exchanged for it shall be holy; it shall not be redeemed.’ “
- These [are] the commandments which the LORD commanded Moses for the children of Israel on Mount Sinai.
Today’s passage contains instructions concerning dedication of first fruits of man, animals, tithes to the Lord. A Christian should honour God by giving these to Him without reservation. The most important thing that is dedicated to God is the life that has surrendered to the Lordship of Jesus Christ. It is interesting to note that nothing that a man devotes to the Lord shall be sold or redeemed for they are holy unto the Lord (verse 29).
The implication of this verse is that such a life should not be sold to another person, redeemed/taken back or given to any other thing. it becomes God’s property, declared as most holy unto the Lord, must be controlled by Him and used for His glory. I Corinthians 7:23 states that we are bought with a price, the precious blood of Jesus Christ. Apostle Paul asked, What! know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost and ye are not your own?” (1 Corinthians 6: 19).
The implication is that, a believer in Christ should live a sanctified life – totally separated from the world and given wholly to God. Failure to do this shows that the believer is ignorant of the fact that he/she belongs to the Lord. Are you living the sanctified life? Are you living as though you own yourself? “You are not your own” is God’s declaration over your life!
PRAYER: I am Your own, Lord. Help me to live for You alone, in Jesus’ name. Amen.