The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 17 February 2023 – Get Ready: Jesus Is Coming Soon!
Click HERE to Read Previous MESSAGES
TOPIC – Get Ready: Jesus Is Coming Soon!
READ: Matthew 24:1-29 (NKJV)
- Then Jesus went out and departed from the temple, and His disciples came up to show Him the buildings of the temple.
- And Jesus said to them, “Do you not see all these things? Assuredly, I say to you, not [one] stone shall be left here upon another, that shall not be thrown down.”
- Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things be? And what [will be] the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?”
- And Jesus answered and said to them: “Take heed that no one deceives you.
- “For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many.
- “And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all [these things] must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
- “For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places.
- “All these [are] the beginning of sorrows.
- “Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name’s sake.
- “And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another.
- “Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many.
- “And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold.
- “But he who endures to the end shall be saved.
- “And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.
- ” Therefore when you see the ‘abomination of desolation,’ spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place” (whoever reads, let him understand),
- “then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains.
- “Let him who is on the housetop not go down to take anything out of his house.
- “And let him who is in the field not go back to get his clothes.
- “But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days!
- “And pray that your flight may not be in winter or on the Sabbath.
- “For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be.
- “And unless those days were shortened, no flesh would be saved; but for the elect’s sake those days will be shortened.
- “Then if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here [is] the Christ!’ or ‘There!’ do not believe [it.]
- “For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.
- “See, I have told you beforehand.
- “Therefore if they say to you, ‘Look, He is in the desert!’ do not go out; [or] ‘Look, [He is] in the inner rooms!’ do not believe [it.]
- “For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be.
- “For wherever the carcass is, there the eagles will be gathered together.
- ” Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken.
The response of Jesus to the disciples’ questions about His Second Coming and end of age led to the prophecy in our text today. The prophecy includes: the destruction of Jerusalem which was fulfilled in AD 70, the end of the Jewish Church and State, the calling of the Gentiles, and the setting up of Christ’s kingdom in the world. It also talks about the general judgment. From when the Jews rejected Christ, and he left their house desolate, the sword never departed from them. Christ foretold the ruin coming upon the Jews. He also foretold the global spreading of the Gospel.
See what becomes of those who refuse the Gospel: Those who will not hear the messengers of peace shall be made to hear the messengers of war. The greatest earthly judgments are but the beginning of sorrows. It is comforting that some shall endure even to the end (verses 12-13). Christ’s disciples, in times of public trouble, should be fervent in prayer in season and out of season. Let us give diligence to make our calling and election sure (2 Peter 1:10) as we await His return. Jesus is coming soon! Get ready!
PRAYER: Lord, make me love You more as I preach the word in season and out of season. Amen.