The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 15 February 2023: Jesus Is Lord
Click HERE to Read Previous MESSAGES
TOPIC: Jesus Is Lord
READ: Matthew 22: 42-23: 13 (AMP)
- Saying, What do you think of the Christ? Whose Son is He? They said to Him, The Son of David.
- He said to them, How is it then that David, under the influence of the [Holy] Spirit, calls Him Lord, saying,
- The Lord said to My Lord, Sit at My right hand until I put Your enemies under Your feet?
- If then David thus calls Him Lord, how is He his Son?
- And no one was able to answer Him a word, nor from that day did anyone venture or dare to question Him.
- THEN JESUS said to the multitudes and to His disciples,
- The scribes and Pharisees sit on Moses’ seat [of authority].
- So observe and practice all they tell you; but do not do what they do, for they preach, but do not practice.
- They tie up heavy loads, hard to bear, and place them on men’s shoulders, but they themselves will not lift a finger to help bear them.
- They do all their works to be seen of men; for they make wide their phylacteries (small cases enclosing certain Scripture passages, worn during prayer on the left arm and forehead) and make long their fringes [worn by all male Israelites, according to the command].
- And they take pleasure in and [thus] love the place of honor at feasts and the best seats in the synagogues,
- And to be greeted with honor in the marketplaces and to have people call them rabbi.
- But you are not to be called rabbi (teacher), for you have one Teacher and you are all brothers.
- And do not call anyone [in the church] on earth father, for you have one Father, Who is in heaven.
- And you must not be called masters (leaders), for you have one Master (Leader), the Christ.
- He who is greatest among you shall be your servant.
- Whoever exalts himself [with haughtiness and empty pride] shall be humbled (brought low), and whoever humbles himself [whoever has a modest opinion of himself and behaves accordingly] shall be raised to honor.
- But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, pretenders (hypocrites)! For you shut the kingdom of heaven in men’s faces; for you neither enter yourselves, nor do you allow those who are about to go in to do so.
In today’s reading the Lord Jesus posed a question to the Pharisees; “What do you think about the Christ? Whose Son is He?” They said to him, “The Son of David.” Then If Christ be David’s son, “How then does David, in spirit, call him Lord” (verse 43)? They had no answer to that. In order to prove to them that, the expected Messiah is God. Now, to prove that He quoted Psalm 110:1, “The LORD said to my Lord, sit at My right hand till I make your enemies your footstool.” Jesus said of the Pharisees, “they sit in Moses’ seat” (Matthew 23:2); do what they say but not what they do. Jesus called them hypocrites who teach what they never practice.
The Pharisees did not accept the Lordship of Jesus. They sought to destroy or get Him killed. Are you a hypocrite like the Scribes and Pharisees? Who is Jesus to you? Is He your Lord and personal Saviour? As Lord, Jesus rules every aspect of our lives if we give Him space. Do not be a hypocritical leader but rather be humble. Receive Christ into your life; so that you can be a leader of integrity.
PRAYER: Dear Lord, Jesus Christ, You are the Lord. Make me a true leader that people can trust. Amen.