NgospelMedia.org is The No. 1 International Urban Gospel Media Website, The Largest Repository of Your Favorite Gospel Entertainment Website, Worldwide, Nigeria. We Published Latest Nigerian and Foreign Gospel Music Downloads, Videos; Lyrics, Artiste Biography, Daily Devotionals. NgospelMedia is mainly a Christian Website, as the Domain Name Speaks; Gospel; Which is also tagged as a Gospel On-line Ministry for Souls Winning...
The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 21 January 2023 – A Reckless Commitment
TOPIC: A Reckless Commitment
READ: Matthew 14:1-12 (AMP)
- At that time Herod the governor heard the reports about Jesus,
- And he said to his attendants, This is John the Baptist; He has been raised from the dead, and that is why the powers of performing miracles are at work in Him.
- For Herod had arrested John and bound him and put him in prison [to stow him out of the way] on account and for the sake of Herodias, his brother Philip’s wife,
- For John had said to him, It is not lawful or right for you to have her.
- Although he wished to have him put to death, he was afraid of the people, for they regarded John as a prophet.
- But when Herod’s birthday came, the daughter of Herodias danced in the midst [before the company] and pleased and fascinated Herod,
- And so he promised with an oath to give her whatever she might ask.
- And she, being put forward and prompted by her mother, said, Give me the head of John the Baptist right here on a platter.
- And the king was distressed and sorry, but because of his oaths and his guests, he ordered it to be given her;
- He sent and had John beheaded in the prison.
- And his head was brought in on a platter and given to the little maid, and she brought it to her mother.
- And John’s disciples came and took up the body and buried it. Then they went and told Jesus.
Like any corrupt politician, Herod the tetrarch persuaded Herodias to leave her husband, Philip, to marry him (Herod). John the Baptist in his forthrightness condemned and reproved Herod, not minding the consequence that would ensue. During the celebration of Herod’s birthday, he made a hasty and reckless promise under oath to Herodias’ daughter who danced and pleased him and his guests. He promised to give her whatever she asked. On her mother’s advice, Herodias’ daughter asked for the head of John the Baptist right there on a platter; Herod granted the evil and wicked request. John’s disciples buried his headless body aand informed Jesus.
The Church today is filled with hypocrites who flatter Church leaders. Some public servants curry the favour of their superior officers and refrain from correcting or telling them the truth. We must speak the truth in love as well as exhort and rebuke with all authority (Titus 2:15). Reckless and quick promises can make you do what you would ordinarily not do. No wonder the Bible enjoins us to be slow to speak (James l:19).Think and weigh every word before you speak! Do not make promises to God or to man that you will regret later.
PRAYER: Dear Lord, help me to speak the truth in love, rebuke and exhort with all authority.