NgospelMedia.org is The No. 1 International Urban Gospel Media Website, The Largest Repository of Your Favorite Gospel Entertainment Website, Worldwide, Nigeria. We Published Latest Nigerian and Foreign Gospel Music Downloads, Videos; Lyrics, Artiste Biography, Daily Devotionals. NgospelMedia is mainly a Christian Website, as the Domain Name Speaks; Gospel; Which is also tagged as a Gospel On-line Ministry for Souls Winning...
Sharing is Caring:
The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 23 August 2022 – Giving To Glorify God
TOPIC: Giving To Glorify God
TEXT: 2 Corinthians 9:1-15 (NKJV)
- Now concerning the ministering to the saints, it is superfluous for me to write to you;
- for I know your willingness, about which I boast of you to the Macedonians, that Achaia was ready a year ago; and your zeal has stirred up the majority.
- Yet I have sent the brethren, lest our boasting of you should be in vain in this respect, that, as I said, you may be ready;
- lest if [some] Macedonians come with me and find you unprepared, we (not to mention you!) should be ashamed of this confident boasting.
- Therefore I thought it necessary to exhort the brethren to go to you ahead of time, and prepare your generous gift beforehand, which [you had] previously promised, that it may be ready as [a matter of] generosity and not as a grudging obligation.
- But this [I say:] He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.
- [So let] each one [give] as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver.
- And God [is] able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all [things,] may have an abundance for every good work.
- As it is written: “He has dispersed abroad, He has given to the poor; His righteousness endures forever.”
- Now may He who supplies seed to the sower, and bread for food, supply and multiply the seed you have [sown] and increase the fruits of your righteousness,
- while [you are] enriched in everything for all liberality, which causes thanksgiving through us to God.
- For the administration of this service not only supplies the needs of the saints, but also is abounding through many thanksgivings to God,
- while, through the proof of this ministry, they glorify God for the obedience of your confession to the gospel of Christ, and for [your] liberal sharing with them and all [men,]
- and by their prayer for you, who long for you because of the exceeding grace of God in you.
- Thanks [be] to God for His indescribable gift!
Today’s lesson is the continuation of yesterday’s meditation. Paul had already boasted about the Achaians’ willingness to make contributions for the famine victims. So he sent Titus, and two other brothers, to Achaia in order that the contribution be made ready before his arrival (8:6, 16-18, 23; 1 Corinthians 16:1-4). He sent brethren ahead so that he would not be embarrassed or disappointed when he arrived if they had not yet made the contribution. Paul perceived that some people wanted to discourage them, so apart from sending brethren, he also wrote in order to encourage them to carry out their planned contribution. He urged them to give as a matter of generosity, not of grudging obligation (verse 5). He told them that whatever they sowed, they would reap in the same measure (verse 6). Reaping sparingly or bountifully, did not imply that they would reap material things for their generous giving but rather referred to the spiritual blessing of eternal glory. Whatever they gave was to be seen as a sacrificial contribution which God alone would reward.
Dearly beloved, let us endeavour to give the gift that gives glory to God, not as eye service or a show-off, so that we can reap bountifully, spiritually and physically, knowing very well that there is nothing we do for God that will go without reward. And whatever we sow, we will surely reap, whether it be good or bad.
PRAYER: Dear Lord, create in me the heart that gives generously.